Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Selection criteria

After I sent emails to the departments stating I have questions on the way, I made this selection criteria chart today:

Criteria

UCal.

UW

Job

Weight

Score

Professors-calibre/subject






Professors-social






Supportive research group






Research on topic of research group






Faculty/department socializing






Current financial support






Potential for increased financial support






Support for publishing/conferences






Support for finishing in 3 to 4






City-socializing/liveability






City-culture/adventure






Health






Predicted level of fulfillment








Are there any categories I might be missing? Any refinement to categories (such as Research on topic of research group category).

7 comments:

Chrisinha said...

I just realized the size of the chart doesn't fit, but I can't find the edit function!!

It's missing "job" "weight" and "score" columns.

Marta said...

I like it. I think that your relationship with your choice of supervisor is pretty important (so says everybody), so you may want to break down that category a bit further.

Are you also adding a "bets" column?

kris erickson said...

edit is the little pencil near the bottom... anyway, i did some magic and made it fit (let me know if it looks funny).

13 criteria--can you group these into smaller clusters? would you want to? might make for a clearer indication of what each factor relates to, and what it all means...

Chrisinha said...

well, after i did all that, i had a long discussion with my dad who said "which one is going to set you up the best for a tenure track position?" which is really about number of publications, my ability to master the subject, and my relationship with the professor (who i get recommendations from, and publish further with, and get invited to conferences with). so, i guess that kind of alters the chart :), and i think that both of your suggestions fit really well with that in mind.

Chrisinha said...

PS--awesome editing, Kris. Thanks!!!

jefe said...

While keeping an eye on trends in hiring and promotion makes a lot of sense, this is not the only component that can (should?) guide your research choices. I think the chart you've developed is terrific in looking at a variety of variables and in encouraging you to find out what you're most passionate about.

Chrisinha said...

For sure it's not the only variable. But I think it's a good point to keep in mind, since we all need our contacts to get places. I think it's coming down to whether I want to work on intervention in theory (more likely calgary) or practice (Waterloo). I'm doing a lot of thinking for sure.