Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Back to the Applicators: Payments and Restrictions

I'm still onto looking at all of my parameters for making a decision for Calgary vs. Waterloo and putting together my evaluation grid (incorporating Marta's expertise), and I am a bit confused about the funding component in terms of invisible funding "ceilings". Both Waterloo and Calgary have offered similar base funding, but now I am confused about the additional funding, which I would like to get.

For instance, at Calgary, if you receive a Faculty of Graduate Studies award, and then another award valued the same or higher, you have to GIVE BACK the FGS award. While I understand the concept, I'm now not sure if they make me reject my department award if I get a $15,000 award, and if this limits my funding possibilities.

According to Waterloo's funding guidelines if you get a provincial or national scholarship, they throw MORE money at you, not less. BUT you still have to check your departments funding guidelines on how they deal with awards (for instance, do they pull some of your base funding?).

So, while they currently both offer similar funding, I want to make sure that there is possibility of more funding potential, rather than a possibly low ceiling placed on my income for those years.
Has anyone else put some thought into this practical side?

1 comment:

jefe said...

I haven't thought too much about funding, aside from trying for SSCHR and saying to myself that I wouldn't go into a PhD if I needed a loan.

<$> <$>
&
[__] I want money!

Sorry for this post!