Thursday, March 6, 2008

I wish I had studied this instead....

Check this out! I wish I could go. Why have I wasted my time studying resources when I could have studied Hip Hop?

HIPHOP BLACK GLOBALITY
AND VERNACULAR COSMPOLITANISM

IN THE NEW SOUTH AFRICA

Remi Warner

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

286C Winters College

Drawing on my year-long fieldwork in Cape Town and Johannesburg, South Africa, my presentation examines some of the

ways in which globally circulating hiphop popular musical-cultural forms and practices have been appropriated and

deployed by South African youth to negotiate contemporary and inherited legacies of ascriptive ethnic and racial

identification. I introduce and discuss the concept of ‘Black Globality’ as an alternative framework for understanding the

multiple, varied, and shifting kinds of identifications, affiliations and social imaginaries forged by and between citizens of

the global hiphop nation. The presentation focuses in particular on ‘vernacular cosmopolitan’ hiphop cultural practices

produced under conditions of Black Globality, a primary outcome of which, I argue, is an agonistic ‘fusion of horizons’ and

re-invigorated ethico-political debate.

Remi Warner
has a PhD in Social Anthropology from York University. His research explores the politics and poetics of race
and place and the impact of the globalization of Black popular culture on youth identity, cultural politics and racial

formation in post-apartheid Cape Town and Johannesburg. He has also published on Hip Hop in Canada. He currently works

as a researcher with the provincial government while also teaching an undergraduate course, Race, Racism and Popular

Culture, in York’s Department of Anthropology.

For more information contact:

Professor Daniel Yon

Faculty of Education

Tel: 416-736-2100 ext. 88806

Email: dyon@edu.yorku.ca

No comments: