Saturday, June 21, 2008

How did you first learn about climate change?

It wasn't called climate change yet, I don't think. It was "global warming" or maybe the "greenhouse effect" and at school we called it "l'effet de serre." I did a gradeschool science fair project about it. I vaguely remember the cardboard poster: a larger centre piece with two folding flaps on either side.






I put some diagrams, text, and I don't remember what else. Maybe it looked like this:



Except that I think I remember redrawing a cityscape, some trees, and arrows to explain how everything moved around (I used to love making those bristol board posters, the colours, shapes, such a cool overall effect, and then you could present it as your own project.)


I learned about what's now talked about more as climate change from my science teacher. Or maybe we had an expert come into our classroom to tell us about it. I can't quite remember. But I remember seeing diagrams in the paper and my mom noticing them and showing them to me cause she knew I was interested. Seeing something in the news that I understood -- and it seemed odd to me that many adults didn't understand -- made me feel even more that there was a role to play in helping raise awareness. The story seemed fairly straightforward to me. I was somewhere between 10 and 13, grades 5 to 8, I can't remember exactly.

No comments: